Monday 29 November 2010

The Judgement


In my chamber I sat to write my Judgement
After a long day in courtroom brawl
Weeks of arguments, defence
Legal tussle, pleadings
Hearing

I sat with Law Reports, Statutes
Handwritten case summary
Reviewing every detail of law
Every principle
Every issue of contention

I sat to write this Judgement
That will stir nationwide controversy
Of a Judge-turned-judicial-activist

I marked all issues in contention
Read my case summary again and again
With the aid of steaming dormans coffee
This Judgment will be due next week
And what an uproar it will evoke!

I will read it to the packed court
Slowly and steadily
Like an epic tale
I will comfort both the plaintiff and defendant
Soothe their conscience
For a while
Then throw them to disarray
With a legal bonnet thrown into the mix
It will hit them like a thunderbolt

I will read this Judgment to them
And set a precedent in uncharted waters
Journalists and commentators will be thrown off-balance
They will postulate the import of my Judgment
And quote biases feigned as principles

I will sleep in the chambers tonight
Till I finish this Judgment
For the Judgment will be out in the next 48 hours.

C) Lorot Salem 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Echoes of the Hills is all about you. I would love to hear your echo...

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Echoes of the Hills