Friday 29 April 2011

Ssebo, the Seven Hills!


Image credit: google



Uganda, let Kasubi Hill, Mengo Hill
Kibuli Hill, Namirembe Hill
Lubaga Hill, Nsambya
Kampala Hill—all seven hills
Watch you and weep.

Ssebo, your people say
“An elephant can never fail to
Carry its tusks”
You also say
“One who keeps saying
‘I will listen and obey’ will be
Cooked with the corn cob

Ssebo, I saw the seven hills
Irritated, their bellies shook
I don’t know what they harboured
For I don’t know the ways of the hills.

C) Lorot Salem 2011


Notes:


Some disturbing news from Uganda. Two dead, 100 injured, Dr. Kiza Besigye ( the Opposition Leader) literally stripped of his human dignity. I weep for Uganda.


2 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh Salem, I weep for Uganda too. Your poem is full of heart. I love every line, especially the hills being disturbed and their bellies shaking.

Salem Lorot said...

Thank you so much Koko. So sad an affair in Uganda. Let us hope for the best.

Post a Comment

Echoes of the Hills is all about you. I would love to hear your echo...

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Echoes of the Hills