Tuesday 12 November 2013

My Memory Palace

I will build myself my memory palace
Where, in their loci, I will store all I want to remember.

I would want to store facts, like the savants,
Churn out facts, gobble every other factoids there is.

I would know my memory palace well,
Have an image of where I placed my wristband
On a sloppy Saturday midnight.

And I will not write anything.
I will not keep any notebook or diary.

If you were to ask me, perchance,
The fourth line of Shakespeare's Macbeth,
I will never falter
And if you were to ask me to memorise 100,000 digits back and forth
I will.

I am tired of my forgetfulness
( I forget whether tomorrow is going to be your birthday)
And it hurts, and it costs me

All that I want to build for myself, right now
is a memory palace.
To memorize the Black's Law Dictionary ( just for the heck of it)
And see my mental gymnastics do the trick

I want to claim back my memory
And throw away these extensions to my memory
Like the Greek Orators, I want to speak from within me
To retain in as much as I read

C) Salem Lorot 2013/ echoesofthehills

****
I am reading a book titled 'Moonwalking with Einstein', a book on the art of remembering by Joshua Foer. It is an exciting book that I bought off the streets on one lazy Saturday afternoon. Quite some read.

3 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Nice to see you posting, kiddo........that book sounds amazing. Wait till you're my age and see how much one forgets.........hee hee.

madhumakhi said...

I wish the same too Ndugu. Being a student i can empathize. There are so many little little things to remember and in remembering them we tend to lose track of what's really important.

echoesofthehill said...

@Sherry Blue Sky, Thank you Koko. Yeah, finally. True, you need to tell me more about age and forgetfulness, hehe.

@Madhumakhi, Behen!!! It has been forever. How have you been? I agree. So much to remember, so many failings of the mind.

@Maalaimalar, thank you for visiting and for dropping your comments. You are most welcome.

Post a Comment

Echoes of the Hills is all about you. I would love to hear your echo...

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Echoes of the Hills