Monday 10 October 2011

Etheree: Secrets of the Hills



Echoes of the Hills is all about listening to various echoes and discerning their truths. It is a place where pilgrims set foot to the hills and explore. In this spirit, therefore, a poetic form that I stumbled upon in ShonEjai's Picture Speak  It is called an etheree.

This is what he writes of an etheree: 
A 10-lined non rhyming poem. Line 1 has 1 syllable, line 2 has 2 syllables, line 3 has 3, and so on until the 10th line with contains 10 syllables. 

And now, after my one week hiatus (Yours truly had been bogged down my school work. These things happen, Pilgrim), let us give an etheree a shot.



Pilgrim 

Stand still 

Watch the eagles 

Eaglets on the hillcap 

Such is life’s tuition unfolded 

As chicken’s eyes dread the mongoose 

Upon the foothill lie dusts and leaves 

Choked by scornful gaze of man’s dim-lit visions 

Pilgrim, tread on the boulder, venture to the hillcap 

Here, we start out many, Pilgrim, yet bear the burden

 







4 comments:

Madhumakhi said...

The very purpose of pilgrimage is to transcend your limits. No wonder pilgrim spots always rest on hills. The metaphors are very well chosen.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVE this! I love your Pilgrim poems. Riveting line: "as chicken's eyes dread the mongoose"

Love the format. I havent tried it yet. Looks good on the page.

echoesofthehills said...

Thanks a lot, Koko. Yes, that word pilgrim. May be you should try it. I love the shape especially when I was talking about the hill and the shape that I got was that of a hill.

echoesofthehills said...

That's deep, Madhumakhi! Thanks a lot, fellow pilgrim.

Post a Comment

Echoes of the Hills is all about you. I would love to hear your echo...

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Echoes of the Hills